A great opportunity to build a thriving coaching business at the Tennis Club, in an area with huge potential. You will be self-employed, aiming to build an inclusive programme of approx. 30+ hours a week, including weekday, evening and weekend adult and child coaching groups, coaching the teams, running initiatives such as cardio tennis, working with local schools and running school holiday camps and other community events.
- You will design and deliver a programme to attract and retain members, making good use of LTA initiatives such as Tennis4Kids, Tennis Xpress and including holiday programmes for children and teenagers as appropriate.
- You will encourage and facilitate competition at all levels, while ensuring enjoyment of the game remains paramount.
- You will be the main point of contact for parents of juniors on the coaching programme and new adult members, therefore good people skills and infectious enthusiasm for getting people into tennis are essential.
- You will manage external marketing of coaching services and promotion of the club via social media, local advertising, networking, forging links with local community groups and schools, and various ad-hoc promotional activities. You will have access to the club’s existing database and the committee will provide support in marketing, including running open days etc.
- You will lead, develop and manage the coaching team as required to support the delivery of your programme.
Overview of the Venue
Established in 1906, Tennis Club is a well-established, friendly, forward-looking club with ambitions to grow.
Adult membership is increasing and we have a long tradition of welcoming juniors and integrating them into the club. We have several league teams with a good standard of play, but are also keen to bring even more people from the local community into the sport.
It has 5 astro turf tennis courts with floodlights, a further 3 astro courts and a tarmac practice court. In addition there are 2 shale courts which are out of action, pending refurbishment to a new surface. The Clubhouse has just been refurbished and there is an active social calendar in place for the current base of around 450 members.
The club is looking for a well-organised person who is passionate and enthusiastic about tennis, with the communication skills to inspire and motivate people of all cultures, ages, genders and abilities to play and enjoy tennis at our club.
They must possess:
- Strong people management and mentoring skills to support a coaching team.
- Have the ability to plan and deliver a full and varied coaching and tennis programme that has clear pathways for progression.
- Have the skills that transfer to both coaching groups and individuals, and all ages from the very young to seniors of all abilities (ie beginners to County standard)
- Be able to identify players with potential, and have the drive and skills to work with them to take them on to the next stage in their tennis journey.
- Work closely with the Committee to enhance the general experience of tennis at the club and to organise various competitive and social events,
- Attend Committee meetings and Club events as necessary.
- Be proactive in the promotion of tennis and the Club in the local area, with practical ideas that will bring in new players, grow the membership, promote inclusion and develop relationships with targeted community groups, schools, businesses, other clubs, etc.
- Be well-organised, with the skills to keep good financial and attendance records, work online, able to use social media, produce reports, programmes and publicity as needed. Reliability and punctuality are essential.
- Experience of setting up and delivering quality tennis development programmes.
- Experience of working with schools to develop quality school links.
- Use of ClubSpark to administer the coaching programme.
- Keen interest in developing their own key skills and strengths, in particular deepening knowledge of leadership and management, tennis technique, tactics, fitness, psychology and social demands of the sport.