Purpose of the role
A great opportunity to build a thriving coaching business in an area with huge potential. You will be self-employed, aiming to build a programme approx 30+ hours a week, including weekday, evening and weekend adult and child coaching groups, coaching the teams, running initiatives such as cardio tennis, working with local schools and running school holiday camps and other community events.
- You will design and deliver a programme to attract and retain members, making use of LTA initiatives such as Tennis4Kids, Tennis Xpress and including holiday programmes for children and teenagers as appropriate.
- You will encourage competition at all levels, while ensuring players retain a sense of enjoyment of the game.
- You will be the main point of contact for parents of juniors on the coaching programme and new adult members, so an infectious enthusiasm for getting people into tennis is essential.
- You will manage external marketing of coaching services and promotion of the club via social media, local advertising, networking, forging links with local community groups and schools, and various ad-hoc promotional activities. You will have access to the club’s existing database and the committee will provide support in marketing, including running open days etc.
- You will lead, develop and manage the coaching team as required to support the delivery of your programme.
Overview of the Venue
Tennis Club is a well-established, friendly, forward-looking club with ambitions to grow. Adult membership is increasing and we have a long tradition of welcoming juniors and integrating them into the club. We have several league teams with a good standard of play, but are also keen to bring more people from the community into the sport, especially juniors.
The club is run as an independent organisation within a multi-sports complex serving the fast developing new areas of on the northern edge of Bristol. It has 4 all-weather tarmac tennis courts with floodlights (unrestricted use) and a comfortable clubroom. There is a thriving social club and bar on site and the complex provides excellent free parking.
There are no other tennis clubs in the newly developed housing areas, which have nine schools serving the large number of young families living in the area. The club has links with some of these schools but there is potential for growth. We are very close to the M4/M5 interchange, so there are excellent road transport links for travelling to and from the tournaments that are run at the club.
The club is looking for a well organised person who is passionate and enthusiastic about tennis, with strong communication skills to inspire and motivate people of all ages, genders and abilities.
- Have the ability to plan and deliver a full and varied coaching programme.
- Have the skills that transfer to both coaching groups and individuals, and all ages from the very young to seniors of all abilities (ie beginners to County standard)
- Be able to identify players with potential, and have the drive and skills to work with them to take them on to the next stage in their tennis journey.
- Work closely with the Committee to enhance the general experience of tennis at the club and to organise various competitive and social events,
- Attend Committee meetings and Club events as necessary.
- Be proactive in the promotion of tennis and the Club in the local area, with practical ideas that will bring in new players, grow the membership, promote inclusion and develop relationships with targeted community groups, schools, businesses, other clubs, etc.
- Will be well-organised, with the skills to keep good financial and attendance records, work online, able to use social media, produce reports, programmes and publicity as needed. Good reliability and punctuality essential.
- Experience of setting up and delivering quality tennis development programmes.
- Experience of working with schools to develop quality school links.
- Strong people management and mentoring skills to support a coaching team
- Use of ClubSpark to administer the coaching programme.
- Keen interest in developing their own skills and strengths, in particular deepening knowledge of technique, tactics, fitness, psychology and social demands of the sport.